The Edelman family has been serving fine food for over 59 years.
Fred and Florence Misner Edelman purchased the hotel / restaurant, along the banks of the Neversink River on Old Route 17, in 1953. The building is estimated to have been built somewhere around the early 1800's and was formerly known as the Wayside Inn and later the Kinney Hotel. The restaurant became a popular stop for travelers coming to the Catskills.
Route 17, was the main artery to the Catskill resorts, passing by the front door of the restaurant and then crossing the Neversink River. A two lane wooden covered bridge erected in 1807, crossed the Neversink River. The Covered bridge was replaced in 1923 with an iron bridge and the two lane road still carried all the vacationers to the area. In 1957, the Quickway, Route 17 was constructed just up the river with a four lane bridge. That became the major highway to the Catskills and thus the old route, became known as Bridgeville Road. Although no longer the main highway to the Catskills many travelers made the turn off the quickway to come to the Homestead.
Fred operated the restaurant until his death in 1959. Florence along with the help of her sons Paul and Mark expanded the size of the bar and dining areas, giving a cozy country atmosphere. Mark and Paul did learn most of the business the old fashioned way - on the job, serving steaks and lobster for many years before expanding the menu to include many varieties of seafood and beef along with homemade breads and homemade desserts. Paul and Mark purchased the business from Florence and her husband Nick Sulick in 1977. Paul in the kitchen and Mark greeting and seating. In November 2006, Mark retired from the business and Paul and Alice continue to operate the restaurant. They credit most of the success to the family ownership and experienced staff in giving the consistent product.
The restaurant proudly has staff that have been serving up quality food and service for years. Leonard Belaus, bartender who many know and love started at the Homestead in 1962, he is still serving cocktails, celebrating 50 years in June. Most of the staff has been part of the family at the Homestead for years, adding to the consistency in service to our patrons.
There is no written menu. The staff recites the menu and explains the specials. Paul and his kitchen staff make everything from scratch, from the cinnamon raisin bread to the tarter sauce to the banana cream pie. All the steaks are aged and hand cut.